I've been overriding the deployment location for the staging directory. I
thought I made the changes back to trunk, but I must have missed it, I just
added it back in.

The changes configure the deploy plugin to look for a
deploy.altRepositoryvariable, if it's found we'll deploy to that
location.

The variable can be added in ${M2_HOME}/settings.xml like this :
 <profiles>
   <profile>
     <id>release</id>
     <properties>          <deploy.altRepository>
people.apache.org::default::scp://people.apache.org/home/mikedd/public_html/staging-repository
</deploy.altRepository>
     </properties>
   </profile>
</profiles>

Run mvn -Prelease deploy and watch for scp and it will deploy to the
alternate location. If you just do the build from a subproject it should
work (haven't tried it though).