Hi Noah,

Sounds like a good idea!  We currently do not have any clear-cut plans, but
let me tell you a little about what has been done so far.   Currently, the
main visual interface is in the repo
https://github.com/opencog/ros-behavior-scripting/ ... and its pretty
pathetic as vision goes.   It does use OpenCV, but only as input into a
hacked version of pi_vision, and that is used to detect human faces, and
map them to 3D locations.  Actually, I think that the pi_vision has been
replaced by the CMT tracker, recently, which seems to work a bit better,
maybe.  The ID's of the faces are placed as atoms into the atomspace.  Its
super-simple, and super-low-bandwidth: basically a handful of atoms that
say "I can see face 42 now".... and that's it. The 3D locations of the
faces are NOT kept in the atomspace -- they are kept off-line, mostly
because of bandwidth concerns.  30 frames a second of x,y,z points is not a
lot, but is pointless, because we currently can't do reasoning with that
info, anyway.

Re: new or moving objects: someone recently added support for "visual
saliency", and I flamed them a bit for how it was done: the information
pumped into the atomspace was a very simple message: "something is
happening in the visual field!" which is kind-of useless.  Tell me, at
least, is it big, or is it small, near or far, moving fast or moving
slowly?  Is it "windmilling" i.e. moving-without-moving, like clapping
hands?  or just someone standing there, swaying side to side?

With that kind of info, one can, at least, do some sort of scripted
reactions: the robot can say "Hey I think I see a fly" or "what's that
going on behind your left shoulder?"  Anyway, that general kind of input is
handled by    https://github.com/opencog/ros-behavior-scripting/ .. the
actual "state" of what is seen, what's going on is in src/self-model.scm
 and so additional stuff can be added there, like "I see something small
moving"...  scripted responses are in the file "behavior.scm", so if
something is seen, that is where you can script a response.

All of the above is "short term". In the long term, it really has to be
learning.  For that, it has to be something completely different. This
email is kind-of long already but ... the idea is to pattern-mine: "if 33%
of the screen is red and X happened at the same time, this is important,
remember and learn that!"  Except this never happens.  So instead, lets
(randomly) try "if 33% of the screen is blue and X happened at the same
time..." well, hey, that DOES happen, it means you went outside on a sunny
day. So this should be remembered and recorded as an important
filter-event, that converts visual stuff into knowledge.  The tricky part
here is that this is ... CPU intensive, requires lots of training. Its a
much much harder problem.  But.. enough.

Anyway, the upshot is: "there are no rules" -- we've done very little
almost nothing with vision, so you can do anything you want.

Re: python for opencog -- your best bet is to just poke atoms into the
atomspace with netcat, for example, like here:
https://github.com/opencog/ros-behavior-scripting/blob/master/face_track/face_atomic.py#L82-L87
called from here:
https://github.com/opencog/ros-behavior-scripting/blob/master/face_track/face_atomic.py#L62-L66

and uses netcat here:
https://github.com/opencog/ros-behavior-scripting/blob/master/face_track/netcat.py

Currently, this is probably the best way to use python to get data into and
out of the atomspace.

--linas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA37v2zxE7nTbqrBtw65k539v_wW1JLX2%3D2jgC3bkDoyqsw%40mail.gmail.com.