Hi Nil,

> I'm not familiar enough with the pattern matcher yet to suggest a Scheme
> API. I do believe I know however the next steps to clean it up. So I'll look
> into that first, create a github issue, then look into the API design.

Thanks, that will be helpful!

> In fact for the API, it would be good if we can have a group chat, involving
> people who will use it in the future. Like having some concrete usage
> examples would help me to know how the API should be.

Maybe we can try, first of all, a wiki page for summarizing the
near-term examples for which we'd like to see pattern mining work...

E.g. on my radar for this year we have (in no particular order)

-- Mining of inference histories, for inference control

-- Mining of dialogue histories, for learning dialogue patterns (or
more generally, verbal/nonverbal interaction patterns)

-- Mining of sets of genomic datasets or medical patient records, to
find surprisingly common combinations of features

-- Mining of surprising combinations of visual features in the output
of a relatively "disentangled" deep NN (such as the
pyramid-of-InfoGANs that Ralf, Selameab, Tesfa, Yenat and I are
working on)

-- Mining of surprising combinations of semantic relationships, in the
R2L output of a large number of simple sentences read into Atomspace

-- Mining of surprising combinations of syntactic relationships, in an
Atomspace containing a set of syntactic relationships corresponding to
each word in the dictionary of a given language (to be done
iteratively within the language learning algorithm Linas is
implementing)

-- Mining of surprising  (link-parser link combination,
Lojban-Atomese-output combination) pairs, in a corpus of (link parses,
Lojban-Atomese outputs) obtained from a parallel (English, Lojban)
corpus

> Personally, I do would like to see an API that facilitates interaction with
> the URE. I don't really have concrete examples, just an idea.

Hmmm...

Well one could say there is a rule

FindSignificantPatterns

whose input is

-- a template T restricting what kinds of patterns to look for

-- a GroundedSchemaNode containing the significance measure one wants to use

and whose output is, say, a SetLink containing the most significant
patterns found

This is a pretty computationally expensive inference rule though ;)

But maybe you're thinking of something else...

-- Ben

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CACYTDBdmb3mp36e6nyA%3DgTxojpwDy%3D5HTpUmAPspaeWz9T-Fog%40mail.gmail.com.