Hi Enzo,

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Enzo Fenoglio (efenogli) <
efeno...@cisco.com> wrote:

> A “sigmoid-thresholded eigenvector classifier” is just a single layer
> autoencoder with sigmoid activation. That’s equivalent to performing PCA as
> you did. But  if you had used  a stacked autoencoder (=adding more layers
> and probably a reLu activation) you will simply get  better clustering.

Yes, that's right, and the general sketch of this was sent out the week
before last.  So here, I tried to just look at the first layer, and see how
that went.

But, in doing so, I convinced myself that this is perhaps not all that good
an idea to begin with, and that stacking layers doesn't solve the
underlying problem.  I'm struggling to put put my finger on it, but
basically, it seems that, since I already know that pairs of things are
similar, then having a whole network of things, reinforcing one another, is
in fact blurring the picture. Its as if having a large number of
dis-similar things are just pulling things down.

I'm guessing that strong(er) thresholding might solve this, adding layers
would solve this, but it then begs the question: why bother with all this
extra complexity, if I've already mostly got what I want?  So, yes, I could
try this experiment, but its not clear that it's worth the effort.  I
suspect there's some alternate way of reworking this, but I haven't figured
it out.  Maybe putting the autoencoder in a different location, for
example, before the vectors got generated, instead of after.  Pre-filtering
them, perhaps.  Not sure.

> It is even possible to train latent variable models with a variant of EM
> algorithm which alternate between Expectation and Maximization, but we
> usually prefer to train with SGD.
>
> If interested there is code and ipython available.
>

> But  if you need WSD, here a recent paper  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1606.
> 03568.pdf   using  Bidirectional LSTM to learn context , or this from
> Stanford https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs224n/reports/2762042.pdf using
> skip-gram + LSTM. Last you may be interested to this extension of vec2word
> to disambiguation called sense2vec  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1511.06388.pdf
> . So the DL community is at least trying to do something of interesting in
> the NLP field… but it is not enough as you can readily see..

I've had really pretty good success with WSD in the past, and demonstrated
a really pretty nice coupling/correlation between word-senses from wordnet
and LG disjuncts. Simply having the LG disjunct gets you the correct
wordnet sense about 70% of the time, and this is achievable in milliseconds
of CPU time (ordinary CPU's, not GPU's). Its not that the score is so great
-- back then, people could get up to 80 or 85% correct, but that took
minutes or more of CPU time, not milliseconds. I did this work in 2008.

Based on this, the way forward seemed clear: use basic syntactic structure
as one component to meaning and reference resolution, and use other
algorithms, such as logical reasoning, to go the rest of the way. Much of
the needed reasoning is really pretty straight-forward; yet, here I am,
almost a decade later, and still don't have a functional reasoner to work
with.  :-(  Ben, meanwhile, keeps trying to go in a completely different
direction, so I get to  wait. One step at a time.

> So, I tend to agree with you that “just about exactly zero of the
> researchers in  one area are aware of the theory and results of the other”.
> And I really convinced that unsupervised grammar induction,  is what we
> need at Cisco for our networking problems that cannot just be solved with
> “ad hoc” DL networks (=lack of scalability).  I am looking forward to
> sharing with you guys some of our “impossible networking problems”

Well, I'm aware that you have "impossible networking problems", but, at the
moment, I have no clue of what they are, or why grammar+semantics is a
reasonable approach.

I've been working on a different problem: trying to induce grammar
automatically, on different languages, while I wait for a functioning
reasoner. And actually that's fine, as we already have evidence that a
reasoner on hand-crafted data will not .. well, its a long convoluted
story.  So working on grammar induction at this point seems like the right
stepping stone.

> , and see how  your grammar+semantic approach will be effective (adding
> somehow a non-linear embedding in the phase space as I already discussed
> with Ben)

Ben has not yet relayed this to me.

-- Linas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA35bPyzFRL9GX5ZAU06SGyn0fFE2NJ5FbXWK3UHN2-4YsA%40mail.gmail.com.