Hi Sergei,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 12:14 PM Sergei Kaunov <skau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Amused by your work, Linas, and you describe it very interesting. Where
> should we watch further progress on the topic?

Thanks!  Progress is hard, because several things have to happen in
parallel.

-- I (or you, or anyone else) has to think hard across multiple different
difficult mathematical abstractions.

-- Once I (or you, or anyone else) has some "great idea", it has to be
transmitted to others, either by email or by writing papers.

-- Others can understand those "great ideas" only if they have the
appropriate mathematical background:  in Ivan's case: hilbert-systems and
natural deduction and proof theory and type theory and category theory and
neural networks and deep learning and statistical mechanics (for example,
the "objective function" that neural net guys love to minimize/maximize is
exactly the same thing as a boltzmann distribution from statistical
echanics)   So my personal progress on the topic is blocked by the
inability to communicate it to others. If you don't understand what I'm
talking about, its deeply frustrating for me. (And this is symmetric:
sometimes, I am told about great ideas, which I don't understand, because I
lack the background knowledge)

-- A "great idea" is great only if it *actually works*. And, here, that
means (a) writing software (b) running experiments (c) analyzing data. (d)
describing experimental results to others.  So, not only are steps a,b,c,
extremely time consuming, but step (d) is often mis-understood/neglected,
because the intended audience didn't understand why the experiment is
important.

-- After you've conquered steps a,b,c,d then and only then can you do step
e) build an insanely great demo that will wow everyone who sees it, even if
they are a complete moron. For example, "deep fakes". You don't need math
to know that something unusual is happening there.

The pressure I'm under, that I feel, is that I've got a collection of
"great ideas", I'm trying to articulate them, having trouble finding an
audience, struggling with steps a,b,c,d and meanwhile everyone is shouting
out loud "you guys are a bunch of losers because you don't have step e) you
suck!" and dealing with the psychological and financial fallout from that.

I'm not unique, here -- most researchers/scientists deal with these same
issue. The commonly accepted solution for this is to create collaborations
and teams -- "division of labor" -- and tehre's chicken-and-egg problems to
solving that, also.

--linas

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/0b258284-cb0c-45ae-8d34-9f74d7ee00f9%40googlegroups.com
> .

cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA355QGo1zA8oCUZ3guEwMFymqJ7-PA5ydTJdMx2Sf%2B-ypQ%40mail.gmail.com.