Hi Ben,

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think everyone understands that
>
> ***
> The third claim, "the Linas claim", that you love to reject, is that
> "when ULL is given a non-lexical input, it will converge to the SAME
> lexical output, provided that your sampling size is large enough".
> ***
>
> but it's not clear for what cases feasible-sized corpora are "large
> enough" ...

Yes, this is the magic question, but there is now a way for answering it.
If the input parses come from LG, then how much training is needed to
approach F1=1.0 for the learned lexis? If the input parses come from
Stanford, then how much training is needed to approach F1=1.0 for the
learned lexis? Ditto McParseface... these are your "calibrators"; they
allow you to calibrate the speed of convergence of the ULL pipeline ...
they allow you to experiment with various stages (i.e. clustering) with the
goal of minimizing the training set, maximizing the score, minimizing the
CPU-hours.

Lets now suppose that a corpus of N sentences is enough to get to F1=0.95
on three of these systems.   Then one might expect that N is enough to
approximately converge to the "true" lexical structure of English, starting
with MI, or with Bert-weights, or something else.

Also: the way to measure convergence is not to compare the learned lexis to
a "golden text hand-created by a linguist", but to compare these various
dictionaries to each-other.  As the training size increases, do they become
more and more similar?   Yes, of course, ideally, they should come darned
close to the human-linguist-created parses, and disagreements should be
examined under a microscope.

Here: when I measure Anton's dictionaries, against Anton's golden corpus, I
find that HALF of the sentences in the golden corpus contain words that are
NOT in the dictionary!  (There are 229 sentences in the golden reference;
of these, only 113 sentences have all words in the dictionary.  They
contain only 418 unique vocabulary words.  This is typical not only of
Antons dicts, but also my own: the vocabulary of the training set overlaps
poorly with the vocabulary of the test set -- any test set, not just the
golden one.  This is Zipf's law in spades.)

--linas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA35gn9_%2BfvW%2BwKhNVdiTW9RV-4CmJWGGWh-C-p9VEYCCCQ%40mail.gmail.com.