Hi,

I've written a runtime loadable hdf 4 import module designed for single
file SD data - I've put the code on our ftp site:
ftp.soc.soton.ac.uk
It can be found here:
/pub/jods/opendx/importhdf.tar.gz

The code contains makefiles for IRIX, Solaris, and linux - see
importhdf.make.[platform].

The code imports array data from a file, taking a start, stride and edge
as vectors. It attempts to assign the axes to X,Y,Z,T in a similar
method to the ferret package for netcdf data. There are some hacks in
there specifically for our ocean model data sets - sorry.

John
John Stark
Applications Programmer
Southampton Oceanography Centre, UK