Hi,

I've now added a sample data file and sample opendx program to read the
data, using the ImportCOARDShdf module which I wrote myself, using the
'import' source code as a basis. I am using OpenDX versions 4.2.0 and
4.3.0, and hdf version 4.1r5.

I compiled HDF myself from the tar file on the NCSA site. HDF was
compiled with the -DHAVE_NETCDF option  although I don't think this
relevant in this case.

The data and opendx network are here:
ftp.soc.soton.ac.uk
/pub/jods/opendx/use_importhdf.tar.gz

John

Michael Wiltberger wrote:

> Hi John,
>    Thanks for the code.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few
> questions because I'm having the same problem with your modules as I did
> with mine.  Namely SDstart returns -1 when I try to open the file.  What
> versions of HDF and OpenDX are you using?  Did you compile either set
> yourself or use precompiled binaries?  Would you mind sending putting a
> datafile on your ftp site so I can see if the problem is with my data?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> John Stark wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've written a runtime loadable hdf 4 import module designed for single
> > file SD data - I've put the code on our ftp site:
> > ftp.soc.soton.ac.uk
> > It can be found here:
> > mporthdf.tar.gz
> >
> > The code contains makefiles for IRIX, Solaris, and linux - see
> > importhdf.make.[platform].
> >
> > The code imports array data from a file, taking a start, stride and edge
> > as vectors. It attempts to assign the axes to X,Y,Z,T in a similar
> > method to the ferret package for netcdf data. There are some hacks in
> > there specifically for our ocean model data sets - sorry.
> >
> > John
> > John Stark
> > Applications Programmer
> > Southampton Oceanography Centre, UK
> > Tel. +44 (0)23 8059 6571
> > e-mail jods at soc . soton . ac . uk
> >
> > Michael Wiltberger wrote:
> >
> >>Hi All,
> >>   I'm trying to write a runtime loadable module which uses the SD or
> >>Multifile Scientific Data Interface to HDF 4.x.  The problem is that if
> >>I use the SDstart command to open my file it returns an error code.  If
> >>I use the DFSD or Single-file Scientific Data Interface I can open the
> >>file, but I loose the random access features which make HDF so useful.
> >>Has anyone else had any success with writing HDF 4.x modules which use
> >>the SD interface?
> >>   Another option would be to use an outboard module (which worked for
> >>4.1.3), but I'm encountering the previously reported problems with
> >>outboard modules for version greater than 4.2.
> >>   Any assistance is greatly appreciated since I'm growing desperate.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Mike
> >>
> >>--
> >>_______________________________________________________
> >>|Michael Wiltberger, Ph.D     |                       |
> >>|NCAR/HAO                     | Life's unfair -       |
> >>|3450 Mitchel Lane            |  but the root         |
> >>|Boulder, CO 80301            |  password helps!      |
> >>|Ph: (303)497-1532            | VI VI VI              |
> >>|Fx: (303)497-2180            |   The editor of the   |
> >>|email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |   beast               |
> >

> > --

> [...]

e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]