Thank you very much for your help, David.

However I still cannot connect the UI to the dxexec using your suggestion.
I simply could not find the info about the port number. I have tried the
default 1900 and 1920 (as in the uipp/dxuilib/DXApplication.C) and none of
them work. In addition, I do want to know how the codes in exec/dxmods
interact with the codes in /uipp/dxui and /uipp/dxuilib, paticularlly for
the interactors. Please advise and many many thanks!

Jack

The following is the log of the session:

GNU DDD 3.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu), by Dorothea L(gdb) list scalar.c:1
Line 1 of "scalar.c" is at address 0x8117a50 <m_Scalar> but contains no
code.
(gdb) break scalar.c:19
breakpoint_create_event
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8117a56: file scalar.c, line 19.
(gdb) run -R -b
Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly.
Needs to be fixed.
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
[New Thread 16384 (LWP 22809)]
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
/usr/local/dx/bin/dxexec: invalid option -- b
Open Visualization Data Explorer
More Info at www.research.ibm.com/dx
and www.opendx.org
Version - 4.2.0
usage: /usr/local/dx/bin/dxexec [-B][-c][-d][-E #][-F file][-i
#][-l][-m][-M #][-p #][-P][-r][-R][-S][-t][-T][-u][-v]
  -B    enable UI node highlighting
  -c    disable lookaside cache
  -d    enable memory debug
  -E    set error print level        (default = 3)
  -F    load a module definition file
  -i    set read delay threshhold    (default = 0.05)
  -l    toggle logging to dx.log     (default = off)
  -L    force a license type (runtime or develop)
  -m    mark module execution times
  -M    limit global memory           (default = 0)
  -p    number of processors         (default = 1)
  -P    toggle processor status      (default = off)
  -r    turn on remote execution
  -R    started with rsh but not in remote mode
  -S    intra graph serialization    (default = on)
  -t    enable exec timing & printing
  -T    trace module executions
  -u    disable parse ahead (for leak detection)
  -v    display executive version number
  -V    enables printing of executive DXDebug messages

Program exited with code 02.
breakpoint_delete_event
breakpoint_delete_event
(gdb)