That query does not look valid to me. There is no 'b' that is defined in
the FROM clause. Once an alias for a node is created in the FROM clause, as
in COMPOSITION a[..] the alias 'a' in the FROM and WHERE clauses refers to
the same matching data node.

I would not assume anything based on the query you've given because that
query is invalid as far as I can see.