You are way more technical than just a consumer of AQL, so you may consider
adopting semantics from XQuery/XPath/Sparql. It would not really leave you
a million miles from the current AQL semantics. I'll leave it at that since
this is not a technical list as far as I my understanding goes. Feel free
to re-initiate discussion under technical list if you have comments (goes
for everyone) :)

All the best
Seref