Hi Karsten,

A SARS Patient example was chosen because initial screening detects
people with elevated temperatures, e.g., airport screening. Once detected
early access to records should be facilitated. Information contained in
these
records is likely to be more extensive, accurate and precise than
information from a Patient who is suffering an attack.

Reminds me of my car accident two years ago in which I received an
obvious bump on the head (swollen). The Emergency Room nurse
retrieved my name and address and then asked if I was in pain. Being
Irish is a detriment at times, but I managed to respond that I was indeed
in a lot of pain, was unable to stand, could not drive a car, and a prior
neck injury was causing considerable distress, all of which was already
on the record (same hospital and ambulance technician record).

Having experienced the flu on prior occasions I can confidently say that
things I say during this time period I will neither remember nor understand
why I said them. Including these statements in the record probably is not
a good idea nor is basing a diagnosis, other that 'He is out-of-it', on this
information.

The presumption that a Patient is 100% lucent in a stressful situation is
subject to debate, e.g., accidents, flu, labor and delivery.

Retrieve the information from the Patient; analyze it; compare it with the
record, if available, but give it a proper weighing. Don't forget the
symptoms and the reasons the Patient ended up in the facility.

It is an information retrieval/analysis/credibility/reliability problem. The
information needs to be sorted.

Getting the Patient to an appropriately staffed hospital/clinic is a
response to the above. Such a response should not be based solely
on information retrieved from the Patient, e.g., they may still want to
attend that meeting.

-Thomas Clark