TIMED MEASUREMENTS

The timed nature of specimens is dealt with in the history and event model
of the RM and available in the archetype editor. This deals with timed
measurements and interval measurements. The idea of a 21 day progesterone is
covered in state information relating to the time since the last menstrual
period - BUT there is still the idea of an untimed sequence of events where
the order is critical. There are also sequenced events when it comes to
looking for stool microscopy, occult blood - but these are reported
separately and really are administrative rather than of the nature I will
describe here.

The best examples of this seem to occur in sampling - three samples of CSF -
the first, second and third - or shavings for histology looking for depth of
tumour. There  are more, such as respiratory function tests with particular
challenges - and timing is not an issue. These occur one after the other but
the sequence is the only thing that is important - not the time - and time
would probably be made up. The question is, how do we deal with this. I
think we have two choices:

1. We recognise this is a sampling issue and there should be a label on each
sample which is transfered to the report - we have sample 1, 2 and 3 with
three separate microscopies and cultures in a single composition. This would
get around the confusion of trying to deal with this as a timing issue - it
would work for any sampling including location. We do not want to compare
these CSF samples in queries as equals but we would have some sort of label
associated. So, the sample label and order might be part of this - in the
request and then in the result. I guess this goes on at the moment.

2. We have a sequence idea in the event model, by using the offset but
having 'sequence' as the unit rather than time. This would mean that people
did not have to enter spurious times in the data and name the event as
Sample 1, which could be misleading.

Comments?

Cheers, Sam
Dr Sam Heard
Ocean Informatics, openEHR
Co-Chair, EHR-SIG, HL7
Chair EHR IT-14-9-2, Standards Australia
Hon. Senior Research Fellow, UCL, London

105 Rapid Creek Rd
Rapid Creek NT 0810

Ph: +61 417 838 808

sam.heard at bigpond.com