Dear Sam,

>  We have been discussing the issue of templates and whether we keep an
> identifier of a template in the data. My concern has been that this ID
> might be seen as an absolute constraint on the data, whereas the precedence
> of constraint must be:

knowledge models (reference models as existent in memory) do NOT need
to hold a link to the knowledge template (archetype) they were created
(instantiated) from at all.

A knowledge model is a clone of a knowledge template.
The template merely delivers the initial values, not more.

> The data must conform to the reference model
> The data must conform to the archetypes
> The data must be complete
> The template can be invoked to ease data entry.

You have to put all constraints into the runtime (reference) model,
so that the model does not have to refer to its original template anymore!

Christian
please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org