Thomas Beale wrote:

> Technically, deletion is easy, but there are consequences for consistency
> and legal value of the data. So making it harder to do is sensible. We
> have to realise that all such legislation as has been mentioned here is
> written as if we were in 1850, still writing everything on paper.

The Swedish Health Record Law is from 1985 and has been revised several
times since then. The law is written to be media and technique neutral and
describe what the society demand from a health record. Then is it up to the
suppliers to use their technique so the health records keeps up to the
society?s demands before they sell the health record systems to the health
care providers. In this case can it be burnable health record papers or
electronic health record systems with good functionality to completely
remove entered data.

I therefore don?t think that we shall talk about the laws in a fashion of
non modern laws written for a previous media, but instead of how we
technicians can satisfy the society?s demand on health records whatever
technique we use.

> Even then it was not watertight - anyone could make a written copy, and
> it was not long before photography and typewriters made that job a lot
> faster.

Of cause is it possible to copy data from a paper based health record, but
in Sweden we then note where we send the copy. It is still possible to do
with electronic health records.

        /Mikael Nystr?m