On 11/13/06, Mattias Forss <mattias.forss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> 2006/11/12, Thomas Beale <Thomas.Beale at oceaninformatics.biz>:
> >
> > Mattias Forss wrote:
> > >

> > >         * in some cases, most likely what is really needed is to be
> > >           able to reduce the work required to build archetypes in the
> > >           authoring tool environment - in other words cut and paste,
> > >           or smarter things than that. So - what is smarter than cut
> > >           and paste? We can consider that there are "archetype
> > >           fragments" which are stored and indexed in a sophisticated
> > >           authoring environment. These would not be separate
> > >           archetypes as such - just pieces of archetypes that have
> > >           been identified as re-usable in the authoring environment,
> > >           but otherwise not sensible self-standing semantic units.
> > >           Think about it this way - in some cases, you are not after
> > >           another archetype, you just want to make sure that you build
> >
> > >           the little piece of the current archetype inn the same way
> > >           as you did last time, without missing a term.
> > >

> > > Agree, but shouldn't there be some way to link the "copies" with each
> > > other, because they _will not_ be the same data if they don't have the
> > > same archetype path? How should we know if we already entered similar
> > > values in another archetype, possibly even found in another template
> > > than the current one? There should be some way of linking values
> > > together. Can it be done at the template level or must it be done at
> > > an even higher level, i.e. in business logic of the GUI in the EHR
> > system?
> > not sure what you mean here. If I make a copy of a piece of an archetype
> > that is in some "archetype fragment library" into archetype A and
> > archetype B, these two archetypes will have the correct archetype paths
> > according to where the fragment was put. When you say "data" and
> > "values" are you talking about when the archetypes are used at runtime
> > to create EHR data?
>

> Archetype A and archetype B will have 'correct archetype paths according
> to where the fragment was put', but will they refer to the same paths? When
> I talked about data I meant what was stored in the EHR system and when I
> talked about values I meant what was entered in the template.
>
> I tried to ask if there is some way to make two or more archetypes
> manipulate exactly the same data in an EHR system, meaning that the
> archetypes probably must refer to the same paths - otherwise the data will
> be manipulated at different places and the system must know that the data at
> the different places are actually the same. Consider this example:
>
> Archetype A is used in a template to create data about a patient's weight
> and archetype B is used in another template and will also create data about
> the weight. However, if the weight data was already entered in the EHR
> system, is there a way (to create archetypes) which make the system know
> that it deals with the same data no matter if it came from archetype A or
> archetype B and fetch the last entered value to any of the templates that
> [...]

I am not sure if it's safe to allow cross-use of internal archetype nodes
for data entering. A better approach in my view is to separate the common
archetype node into a standalone archetype and include it in other archetype
or template.

For read-only purpose, DV_EHR_URI is perhaps a solution.

Cheers,
Rong