Hi Erik,

Yes, clusters used in the way you describe can be queried upon just like any
other class of archetype.  It is one way to handle these issues, but still
the 'purer' methodology for a Pap smear report, in this case, would be to
aim for a maximal Pap report archetype and use the template to constrain it
for specific purpose.

Clusters are in use all through the NHS archetypes/templates.  I have found
them especially useful in examination-related archetypes for very simple and
universal concepts eg dimension, inspection, etc.  These clusters will pop
up amongst a large range of archetypes.  So you will be able to query for a
width or length in whatever part of the EHR a dimension cluster is used.

I guess that it could follow that it is possible to consider using the
cluster as the common 'child' archetype within 2 distinct 'parent' entry
archetypes to mimic multiple inheritance. But it is not recommended. The
cluster class has limited functionality compared to entry classes - eg it is
limited without event model etc - a cluster has just data and no state,
events, protocol associated with it.  These data elements would be necessary
in a Pap report - I don't think you could get away with these being in each
parent.  After all you are already losing some of the commonality - the very
thing that you are trying to use the cluster for - if you have to put the
same event or state data back up into each 'parent' entry archetype.

Hope this helps clarify rather than confuse.

Heather