Dear All,

I have an important modeling problem in ADL for defining whether single
or multiple selection is allowed for values of an ELEMENT. In (very
informal) other words checkbox or option box. During a recent discussion
with Thomas, I learned that this has previously been discussed and that
current trend is to move this into templates together with the
constraint about default values.

I can perfectly understand and appreciate to define default values in
templates as they can be dependent on regional, cultural or even
religious matters. But considering the principles expressed
(wonderfully) in a previous thread about archetypes and templates, one
can simply come to a conclusion that (almost) universal and non-volatile
domain knowledge go into former while local/volatile knowledge go into
latter. In any concept such constraints are an integral part of that
domain knowledge; i.e. an ELEMENT defining presence of bleeding can not
have both present and absent. Of course then there might be other cases
where this can not be determined in advance- so you simply do not
constrain them in archetypes and handle with local templates.

The rationale behind my similar requests/suggestions is very simple: I
prefer to be able to model concepts and implement them without depending
on templates; just archetypes and that's all. I know that this is not
the mainstream approach/business model but it can improve stability of
archetypes and add flexibility in openEHR/CEN implementations.

Best regards,

Koray Atalag, MD, Ph.D.