Grahame Grieve wrote:
> hi Tom
>
> We are speaking about data integrity issues at different
> levels. Of course the reference model assures data integrity
> at that level; I was speaking of data integrity at the of
> data aquisition - calibration, methodology, attribution, these
> kind of things.
>
> Grahame

ah - 'data quality' in other words - i.e. markers / meta-data relating
to the data capture from the source, not the integrity of the data as
represented on the openEHR system?

So far I would see such things as being catered for using compositions
of archetypes - we currently have a lot of Cluster and Structure
archetypes for this purpose. In all Entry archetypes (Observation etc),
there is a 'protocol' attribute. It would be easy to create an item
under protocol in those Entry archetypes that need it for 'data
quality', which is a slot taking a subset of Cluster or Structure
archetypes which report on data quality / capture. We already do a lot
of re-use of this kind with archetypes.

I would be very hesitant to introduce the equivalent of multiple
inheritance, because the true nature of inheritance is a notion of
substitutability, or IS-A-ness. Using inheritance as a way of doing a
mixin as can be done in software can be confusing.

It is interesting that even the Eiffel language, which has the smoothest
and cleanest implementation of multiple inheritance (which Eiffel
developrs use ubiquitously in application development), has evlved its
semantics to distinguish 'conforming inheritance' and 'non-conforming
inheritance'. The latter does not confer substitutability.

In the archetype space, 'substitutability' really translates to: can I
use a parent archetype to process the data creating using child
archetypes? The answer should (in my view) only be yes when the parent
is ontologically a precursor of the children, e.g. the laboratory
archetype is an ontological parent of laboratory-lipids. I think it
would be hard to push the idea that some archetype containing no
constraints apart from some data_quality items was an ontological parent
of laboratory-lipids or any other archetype.

If we were to go more towards using software constructs in archetypes, I
think I would be more interested in genericity (i.e. template types)
rather than multiple inheritance.