Dear colleague,

In Europe there is a European Directive (law) on privacy.

The European standard for the EHR (CEN/tc251 EN13606 and also an ISO
standard by now) has incorporated several other European and ISO
standards:
- ISO 18308: requirements for EHR architectures
- ISO 22600 Privilege Management and Access Control
- CEN EN 13606 part 4

It is for these reasons that European based EHR standards are unique
because Patient Safety and Privacy are part of the design requirements
from the start.

For more information search the CEN and ISO standardization
organisation websites.
To few people from the USA do that.

Gerard Freriks

On 14, Mar, 2008, at 18:52 , Kudakwashe Dube wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm just beginning a research project on
> security/privacy/confidentiality in EHRs. I will greatly appreciate
> any
> pointers to any material on this topic, especially with respect to
> openEHR.
>
> I've just noted that in the US, HIPAA is driving
> security/privacy/confidentiality implementations in existing EHR
> systems
> and it seems its is turning out to be a policy/framework-level
> security
> standard for EHRs in the US that does not prescribe implementation
> issues. I am not sure whether or not EHR standards that incorporate
> HIPAA compliance have emerged yet.
>
> In the EU region, the situation seems different in the absence of
> HIPAA-type punitive legislation for enforcing healthcare information
> security and privacy. A number of EHR standards generally incorporate
> security and privacy considerations. I am not sure whether there are
> any
> security and privacy compliance requirements spec standards and
> implementation (incl. openEHR) in the EU region. I will appreciate any
> pointer to material in this regard.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Regards
> ----
> Kuda

-- <private> --
Gerard Freriks, MD
Huigsloterdijk 378
2158 LR Buitenkaag
The Netherlands

T: +31 252544896
M: +31 620347088
E:     gfrer at luna.nl

temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov
1755