Hi Ian,

I think there is a way to customize the GUI without (direct) manual
manipulation.
If an application can generate expressive HTML, you can do all the
customization with CSS (a good web designer can make this work for us).
For "expressive HTML" I mean, HTML code with tags, ids and classes that let you
customize every aspect of the way each template/archetype node is displayed:
position, size, labels, etc.

This is the only way to do GUI customization for projects that generate the GUI
on the fly and that are web-based. (like the Open EHR-Gen).

Example:

This is an inexpressive HTML:

<form ..>
  a label: <input type="text" name="xxx" ... />
  <input type="submit" .. />
</form>

This is an expressive HTML:

<form id="openEHR-EHR-SECTION.soap" class="SECTION">

      <label for"xxx">a label:</label>
      <input type="text" name="xxx" ... />
    <input type="submit" .. />

</form>

Other idea is to use some CMS-like functions, like dragging and dropping
generated components on different zone of a web page layout. So, each user can
have its own customized GUI.
We can create a couple of these layouts, based on some GUI patterns and good
practices, and adjust our GUI generators to use one layout or the other to see
if the page generated is usable or not.
Our Open EHR-Gen Framework has some of this ideas already developed (each node
in our GUI-templates have a "pageZone" attribute that indicates in wich zone of
the web layout, this node has to be displayed). See:
http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/impl/GUI+directives+for+visualization+templates

--
Kind regards,
A/C Pablo Pazos Guti?rrez