Hi All, interesting discussions but I am afraid it does not take use anywhere...

Yes we all need (we=all of us) some better means to develop health information
systems; not only limited to EHR space but the whole continuum including the
long waited clinical applications which would help doctors and other healthcare
professionals make informed decisions etc. etc.

I think what we are all up to is first a solid methodology to build better
systems - no brainer ha?
OK look at other domains, well technical mostly, Telecom, Tourism, Marine, even
Entertainment and eGovt. As far as I know (I may be slightly wrong though)
neither of these is based on "special home delivery" standards, BUT have
adopted development methodologies which worked for everybody - ultimately
benefiting the consumer. Why on earth we are going down this pathway? It is
absolutely silly to have all these standards in same direction with slight
differences. I don't understand how public money is spent so irresponsibly....

Why don't we just build systems with what we have and then drive the
standardisation process with real evidence...an evolutionary rather than
regulatory path. As a developer myself when I see ISO, CEN etc. imposing
constraints on me just because they are strong and have powers I feel offended.
How many of those people have really built systems, or let alone sat at the
same table with clinicians to talk about what they need, gone through
procurement processes with RFP's that don't even mention about
interoperability? I wonder...

Having said these, I will soon publish the results of my research on software
maintainability of openEHR based vs. classical OO/Procedural with RDMS model by
building a full working application with C# .Net. The implementation is almost
complete and I am expecting to have initial results by March. So let's see if
openEHR really works and future-proof! These will be quantitative evaluation
results by employing formal software measurement.

We need evidence gentlemen, why don't we focus on that first. IP is nonsense
wrt. Archetypes and openEHR and everybody knows that.
So what are the vendors and governments waiting for??? EVIDENCE!!!

Cheers,

-koray