Wiliiam,

openEHR 'cooperating more' and not 'reinventing' would have been
impossible without time travel. The openEHR data types were started in
2002, and were in production use in Australia in 2004. Since then nearly
all changes have involved refactorings of functions and abstract types.
If you doubt this, see the revision history of the spec
<http://www.openehr.org/releases/1.0.2/architecture/rm/data_types_im.pdf> and
also the issue tracker
<http://www.openehr.org/issues/browse/SPEC?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel>.

Computable ordinal for example was in openEHR from the start. When
Grahame was doing his work on 21090, the whole openEHR specifications
and implementations in 5 languages already existed (and in fact he asked
me many things about the openEHR data types at the time, and tried to
incorporate some; most were knocked back by his HL7 sponsors). But
please let's be honest about history. And if you want to accuse people
of non-cooperation, you are looking the wrong way, everyone knows that.

I still want to know why the 21090 spec is:

    * essentially an HL7 specification - this is obvious by inspection
      to anyone familiar with this space. No-one could possibly have
      come up with 21090 as it is today without the starting point being
      the HL7v3 data types
    * not defined in a normal object-oriented way
    * is only optimised for HL7v3 messaging - which is hardly being used
      (therefore including multiple attributes not useful to
      non-messaging users)

ISO 21090 is a huge missed opportunity.

- thomas