It is not clear to me that Tom's remarks help either. HL7 had data types
very early.  That is not the point.  The issue is is there anything in the
future we can agree and work togwether.  Unfortunately, I have come to the
conclusion we cannot not, and as a result we shall let the market make
those decisions at a price all of us pay.  HL7 v4 is in even less use than
v3 at this time.  I would say in the US, v2 is a huge success.  If we play
mine is bigger than yours we all lose.  I agree with Graham.  Let's move on
to another topic. It's business as usual.

David I would hope you and others like you could help us resolve some of
the issues.  Maybe the differences in approach, philosopy and organization
prevent working together.  No one argues that HL7 is perfect - far from it.
But that is a result of the fact that those standards are produced in an
open process in which decisions are made by many.  As a result, HL7
standards usually include something that someone does not like.  However, I
think the alternatives are worse.

My prediction is that we need to be concerned that the world will move
forward without either organization playing a significant role.  Technology
changes are already refocusing on what is important.

I'd love to see us pick a point in the future and work together to produce
useful standards.  I actually extend this conversation to all of today's
SDOs.  HL7 meets in Sidney in January.  That provides an opportunity to
discuss some of these issues - perhaps with our members and not just the
leaders of the organizations.

Last post.

Ed

W. Ed Hammond, Ph.D.
Director, Duke Center for Health Informatics

             David
             <dneilsen at bigpond
             .net.au>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  For openEHR technical discussions
             openehr-technical         <openehr-technical at openehr.org>
             -bounces at openehr.                                          cc
             org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: ISO 21090 data types too
             11/07/2010 07:37          complex?
             AM

             Please respond to
                For openEHR
                 technical
                discussions
             <openehr-technica
              l at openehr.org>

 I don't know if anyone in this group falls into this category. Often it is
not possible for those who want to participate to be able to do so. This
may be because of time constraints (they get paid to do a job, not attend
standards meetings) or they or the organisation that they work for cannot
come up with a) affiliation fees b) numerous plane tickets c) many nights
in expensive accommodation.  It has been my observation that only those
with the freedom and the resources to attend meetings get their ideas
seriously considered.

This sort of comment from William is not helpful in any genuine discussion
of standards.

regards
David Neilsen