Hi Sam,

The problem with this is that we currently use the RM inheritance to assist
in these structure constraints, i.e. an ITEM_LIST only contains a CLUSTER
containing only ELEMENTs.  However, if you think about it, the semantics of
CLUSTER and ITEM_TREE are equivalent.  It is only the level in the model
that is different.  The question is, would it be helpful to have other
ITEM_STRUCTURE subtypes within an ITEM_STRUCTURE, i.e. an ITEM_TREE
containing an ITEM_LIST or ITEM_TABLE.  This is certainly the case in
CEN13606 with the mandatory CLUSTER.structure_type attribute.

I think we need to go back and ask, why are we trying to simplify
ITEM_STRUCTURE?  Are we doing it to simplify the RM, archetypes or data?

For me the data is of interest and it is about 10 years since I first
questioned Thomas about the need for ITEM_STRUCTURE.  Not only does it
lengthen paths but it requires a whole level in data that is necessary and
requires mandatory structural only attribute values such as node_id and
name.

>From a domain model perspective I see the value of supporting additional
properties and methods on these sub-classes but in a persistence model they
add no value, we just need to know which domain class to materialise.  In
XML this can be done using the built-in schema type attribute and this
approach would support XML-class generator libraries, whereas using the CEN
13606 model defined attribute would require an additional adapter to
materialise the domain model class.  My point is, we probably need to
separate the RM representation from the persistence ITS.  Even with the
current RM, we could probably simplify the XML schema to collapse this level
of data, although we still need a way to represent the mandatory node_id and
name attributes of the ITEM_STRCTURE.  This would be easier if they were not
mandatory, but that is topic for another day.

However, if we want a RM change with migration path, the minimal change that
I can see is to make ITEM inherit from ITEM_STRUCTURE.  We could make the
ITEM_SINGLE, ITEM_TREE, ITEM_TABLE and ITEM_LIST sub type of CLUSTER but the
only true sub type of CLUSTER is ITEM_TREE.  In future we could merge
CLUSTER and ITEM_TREE and remove ITEM_SINGLE.

Regards

Heath