Hi everyone,

I've been studying how to simplify the ITEM_STRUCTURE model to enhance the
persistence performance of our Open EHR-Gen project
(http://code.google.com/p/open-ehr-gen-framework).

Now I'm reaching a point in which I doubt about the necessity of ITEM_SINGLE in
the RM (as a subclass of ITEM_STRUCTURE) and I want to expose some arguments
and hear your comments about it.

Semantic argument: As I understand ITEM_SINGLE, the semantics of this class are
the same as an ITEM_LIST or ITEM_TREE with only one ELEMENT, I mean that: the
semantics of ITEM_SINGLE is just a matter of cardinality (=1).

Practical argument: in practice, an ITEM_SINGLE is like using an ELEMENT as an
ITEM_STRUCTURE. And if we have only TREEs, LISTs and TABLEs, the interface of
each class can be the same, like: getItems(), setItems(), the ITEM_SINGLE
breaks that with getItem() and setItem().

Evolution argument: If I have an archetype with an ITEM_SINGLE, but the concept
modeled with this archetype needs to change adding more nodes to the archetype,
I need to change the ITEM_SINGLE to another ITEM_STRUCTURE, but if the
archetype is modeled with an ITEM_TREE, I can add any nodes without changing
the ITEM_STRUCTURE type. I think this way is more simple to create new
archetypes with backwards compatibility.

What do you think?

--
Kind regards,
Ing. Pablo Pazos Guti?rrez