From: openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org] On Behalf Of fred trotter
Sent: Saturday, 18 February 2012 1:27 p.m.
To: For openEHR technical discussions
Subject: Re: Meaningful Use and Beyond - O'Reilly press - errata

Thomas,
             This is quit usable critique and I will certainly draw from it in
future revisions of the work.

You make the argument that OpenEHR is primarily for interoperability, and I can
accept that fundamental argument. It is difficult to swallow however, when I
hear the HL7 v3 wonks talking about how HL7 RIM is the solution to semantic
interoperability. Are they confused or are you confused, because you are saying
basically the same thing. From my perspective as in implementer it looks
awefully like a blueray vs HDDVD war and it looks like OpenEHR is losing. But
at the same time I keep hearing that HL7 RIM is "compatible" with and might be
"merged" with HL7 RIM.

Very confusing, and I have yet to see something compelling that can be done in
OpenEHR that cannot be done with HL7 RIM.

Having said that, HL7 RIM is a proprietary ontology/model and OpenEHR, is not.
That gives OpenEHR some usefulness even as an alternative model. Is that where
I should see the value? Here is an information model that delivers semantic
interoperability but is not proprietary?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Thomas Beale <thomas.beale at