On 02/18/2014 01:36 PM, Ian McNicoll wrote:
> As I understand it, the idea of the ENTRY sub-classes was to remove
> some of this variability in the top-level patterns and strike some
> sort of balance between your two contradictory wishes.
I don't think so.

It is the wish, I know, of all working on Health-ICT-projects/standards
that their standard will serve the whole world, or at least an important
part of it.

Because if that happens, all the interoperability problems are gone.

This strong wish motivates many decisions, which, after some time, need
to be adjusted.

For example, in the OpenEHR, the idea was that CKM would serve the world
with archetypes, and there would be no need of a strong
archetypeId-system, because, all archetypes ever to be taken seriously
were in CKM.
Now it is recognized that this is not the case, and the proposition
regarding archetypeIds changed.

Now, I can read between your lines that variability should not occur. It
should be avoided.
This reflects the same old wish for one standard for all.

But not to focus on you, not to focus on you or OpenEHR, just because
this is close on this list. It happens in all other
standard-communities. It happens everywhere where they define standards.

Maybe you know the joke, I told it a few times:

Andrea: Sigh, there are 51 HL7 standards, this is bad. I am going to
solve that, I will create a new HL7 standard which will make all others
obsolete.
Few months later....
Carlos: Sigh, there are 52 HL7 standards, this is bad. I am going to
solve that, I will create a new HL7 standard which will make all others
obsolete.
Few months later....
Francis: Sigh, there are 53 HL7 standards, this is bad. I am going to
solve that, I will create a new HL7 standard which will make all others
obsolete.

A world that speaks one language and sings Song of Joy before sleeping
will not happen. There will be variability, there will be a free market,
there will be free software development, there will be good and bad
frameworks. This will always be.

The best we can do is provide means on which good things can come
forward and the world has a chance here and there to do better.

By the way, do they in the UK still use British Standard Whitworth?

Have a nice day
Bert