I echo Ian's opinion.

The value of having an archetype with metric and imperial units inside the one
asset is that if you use one unit, you can still compute if you receive data
using the other units as you have a common model and clear relationship between
units. Templates is where you select what you want for your use case. If you
take one set of units out of your archetype then when you receive data using
alternative units you are relying on application based assumptions of semantic
equivalence, rather than the 'no-brainer' of using the same archetype,
different units.

And the notion of managing/governing/maintaining profiles, on top of
archetypes, templates, terminology subsets, GDL rules and AQL queries makes my
modelling/governing head hurt. I don't think this is sustainable, even if it is
desirable. IMO this is what templates are for.

Regards

Heather