I too have looked how the approach used by FHIR could be applied generically to
openEHR, but at the entry level using TDDs. I actually went up one level and
considered the principals of the HL7-OMG RLUS specification, which is the
logical basis of FHIR before they hard coded the resources. RLUS also has a
SOAP based interface.

The spec I wrote for this is being consider for implementation by three vendors
as part of a single project, they chose the SOAP binding rather than REST (REST
is not for everyone). Will be interesting if it happens.

Regards

Heath