From: openEHR-technical [mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of Eric Browne
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:49 PM
To: For openEHR technical discussions <openehr-technical@lists.openehr.org>
Subject: Re: UCUM code in body temperature archetype

Unfortunately Silje, not quite correct. The eye deceiveth.

The construct [H20]  is not valid UCUM. In none of the CKM archetypes did I
find the correct UCUM code [H2O]. A zero has been substituted for the letter
'O'.

An easy mistake for a human to make. H20 even mistakenly appears 4 times in
Appendix D Example Unit Terms at http://unitsofmeasure.org/ucum.html.

The same is likely to occur in the case of Litre, with 'l' (lowercase L) vs '1'
(numeral one) vs 'I' (capital letter eye), depending on typefaces used. That's
why many health safety organisations favour 'L'  for Litre over the lowercase
variant. UCUM unfortunately allows either as case sensitive variants ( which
strictly means that this particular unit is not case sensitive in the case
sensitive case)  :-(

Also, despite 'U'  being a valid UCUM unit, it is probably incorrectly used in
the CKM archetypes. The correct UCUM unit code for international unit should be
"[iU]" or "[IU]" - another case of case variants for supposedly case-sensitive
units. 'U' is the UCUM code for catalytic activity. Same applies for 'U/l',
which may be valid UCUM syntactically, but unlikely to be correct semantically
in the liver function test archetype.

Also mmho is correct UCUM. A mho is a unit of electrical conductance ( It comes
from Ohm, the unit for resistance, spelt backwards. Ohm starts with a capital
letter since named after a human, whereas mho does not). mho as been deprecated
as an SI unit and renamed to siemens, but is retained and valid in UCUM. mmho
was found in openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.tympanogram_hf.v1.adl

regards,

eric