Hi,

«Any units» isn’t the same as “arbitrary units”. As I wrote below, “arbitrary
units” in the context of biomedicine are units which are defined by biological
activity, such as level of allergic reaction or enzymatic activity. This is
done to be able to compare the concentration of different substances which have
the same effects in different mass or volume amounts – birch pollen extract vs
grass pollen extract (measured in SQ-U; standardized quality units), retinol vs
betacarotene (measured in RE, retinol equivalents), human insulin vs insulin
analogues (measured in IU, international units).

To be able to specify medication strength in a meaningful way, I need a
numerator (amount active substance) and a denominator (amount helper
substance). The numerator can be a mass (such as mg), a volume (such as ml) or
an arbitrary unit (such as IU). The denominator can be a volume, a mass or an
administration unit (such as tablet or puff). Since there can be approximately
a million different variations on mass, volume and arbitrary units, I don’t
want to specify them all in the archetype, but leave it up to the application,
while still specifying the property (mass, volume or arbitrary). At the moment,
I can’t do this for the arbitrary units element, since there’s no property in
the openEHR units properties terminology set for arbitrary units.

However, I’m starting to wonder if “<Property id="57" Text="Mass (IU)"
openEHR="385" />” really is a misnamed “arbitrary units” property. Anyone know
the origin of this? IU isn’t a mass unit, so it’s misnamed in any case (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_unit).

Also, what would be really really neat, is a Quantity data type which could be
any of a couple of a set of preselected properties (such as for instance mass,
volume and arbitrary), and not just one fixed property. :o)

Regards,
Silje