Coming back to this, I agree that we can end with differing
implementations, but probably the challenge is to define the syntax of AQL
in a way that no different interpretations appear. Maybe I can propose a
simple example (not sure if 100% correct, but you get the idea)

/*NAMESPACE*/

ns snomedquery="http://someservice.org/test/";

let
$diagnosis="data[at0001]/events[at0006]/data[at0003]/items[at0004]/value/value"

SELECT
    obs/$diagnosis, $ehrUid
FROM
    EHR [ehr_id/value=$ehrUid] CONTAINS COMPOSITION
[openEHR-EHR-COMPOSITION.encounter.v1]
        CONTAINS OBSERVATION obs [openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.problem-diagnosis.v1]
WHERE
   NOT
snomedquery:in(obs/$diagnosis,"http://snomed.info/sct?fhir_vs=refset/mydiagrefset";)

This could be used for validation (and could be created automatically from
archetypes).
Even if we end up needing to know the range in the moment the measure was
taken we could use something similar

ns bioportal="http://bioportal.org/operations/";

let
$timeOfMeasurement=c1/context/other_context/items[at0006]/items[at0013]/value
let
$systolic_bp="data[at0001]/events[at0006]/data[at0003]/items[at0004]/value/magnitude"

WHERE NOT
bioportal:rangechecker($systolic_bp,$sex,$age,$race,$timeOfMeasurement)

I understand your concerns, but I think it falls into the same use case of
templates: Archetypes should have general use, but templates for your
organization probably haven't. Another example I can think of is mappings
to SNOMED-CT on archetypes: If you aren't in an IHTSDO member country you
can potentially end with constraints that you are unable to use/verify.

By the way, I don't know if I'm mistaken, but if we define the ranges on
the archetype I believe that currently AQL cannot access values in the
archetype definition, and probably the alternative of sending the ranges
with the data maybe is a little overkill.

--

[image: VeraTech for Health SL] <https://htmlsig.com/t/000001C268PZ>

[image: Twitter]  <https://htmlsig.com/t/000001C47QQH> [image: LinkedIn]
<https://htmlsig.com/t/000001C4DPJG> [image: Maps]
<https://htmlsig.com/t/000001BZTWS7>

Diego Boscá Tomás / Senior developer
diebo...@veratech.es
yamp...@gmail.com

VeraTech for Health SL
+34 961071863 <+34%20961%2007%2018%2063> / +34 627015023
<+34%20627%2001%2050%2023>
www.veratech.es

Su dirección de correo electrónico junto a sus datos personales forman
parte de un fichero titularidad de VeraTech for Health SL (CIF B98309511)
cuya finalidad es la de mantener el contacto con usted. Conforme a La Ley
Orgánica 15/1999, usted puede ejercitar sus derechos de acceso,
rectificación, cancelación y, en su caso oposición, enviando una solicitud
por escrito a verat...@veratech.es.