I might just add that I am not aware of experienced clinical modellers ever
making use of cardinality constraints. It has just proven too hard for
people to get their head around, even when there are some potential uses
e.g expressing an XSD-type 'choice'.

There was also a known feature of the original Archetype Editor which
(correctly) incremented the cardinality minimal constraint whenever an item
within the container was made mandatory. However, it did not decrement the
cardinality constraint if a child item was subsequently made non-mandatory.
This is probably correct behaviour, since the intention of the modeller in
this case cannot be known but it has meant that cardinality minimal
constraints have appeared unintentionally.

Ian
Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994