From: openEHR-clinical <openehr-clinical-boun...@lists.openehr.org> On Behalf
Of David Moner
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:37 AM
To: For openEHR technical discussions <openehr-technical@lists.openehr.org>
Cc: For openEHR clinical discussions (openehr-clini...@lists.openehr.org)
<openehr-clini...@lists.openehr.org>
Subject: Re: DV_PROPORTION vs DV_QUANTITY for %

I think DV_QUANTITY is the option here. Someone could argue that % is not a
proper unit, but it is, both in UCUM and SNOMED CT.

DV_PROPORTION should be only used when you want to maintain the numerator and
denominator explicitly separated, as a fraction, which should not be the case
with percentages. But it is true that the definition of the type attribute in
the specification is a bit misleading: "Indicates semantic type of proportion,
including percent, unitary etc."

El jue., 3 ene. 2019 a las 7:59, Bakke, Silje Ljosland
(<silje.ljosland.ba...@nasjonalikt.no<mailto:silje.ljosland.ba...@nasjonalikt.no>>)
 escribió:
Hi everyone, happy new year!

We’ve just hit a question about modelling choices, how to represent
percentages. We have a data type DV_PROPORTION, which can be used to represent
any proportion such as a fraction or a percentage, and we have the DV_QUANTITY
data type which can have % as the unit. In most existing archetypes such as the
OBSERVATION.pulse_oximetry archetype, we’ve used the DV_PROPORTION data type
for the percent elements, while for some reason in the draft
EVALUATION.alcohol_consumption_summary archetype we’ve chosen DV_QUANTITY with
the unit ‘%’ for the “Strength” element.

We’ve had a look at the data types documentation
(https://specifications.openehr.org/releases/RM/latest/data_types.html), and we
can’t really find any guidance in the examples there. Is there any guidance
about this anywhere else? Does anyone have any opinions about when to use each
data type for percentages?

Kind regards,
Silje Ljosland Bakke

Information Architect, RN
Coordinator, National Editorial Board for Archetypes
Nasjonal IKT HF, Norway
Tel. +47 40203298
Web: http://arketyper.no<http://arketyper.no/> / Twitter:
@arketyper_no<https://twitter.com/arketyper_no>