On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 11:14, Fredrik Gustafsson
<fredrik.gustafs...@axis.com> wrote:
> Poky today has three different package managers, the well-known formats deb
> and rpm is supported as well as ipkg that is good for embedded devices.
>
> When building and having a good cache hit, a significant amount of time is
> spent in the phase of generating a rootfs, which is really about the
> performance of the package manager. ipkg is way slower than deb or rpm. To
> save build time and also get a package manager that is suitanle for use on
> targets where flash memory is a concern, support for apk is suggested.
>
> However, it might or might not be what's wanted for Poky since it increases
> the test matrix. Therefore this patch series refactors the package
> management code so that it's possible to add more package managers in other
> own layer. I will send another patch serie that will add apk.

As to the code review I mostly second what Paul said.

However, obviously you actually have strong feelings on this as the
series represents a fair amount of work.  What are the compelling
reasons to use apk?  Five seconds on core-image-minimal doesn't really
sell it to me, I don't think anyone ever claimed that opkg has been
performance optimised, dpkg isn't really used that much: maybe we
should re-evaluate what package managers are supported if apk has
feature parity but is significantly faster or has other advantages.

Ross