Hi Ross,
those 5 seconds will increase to minutes for my use case and we build a lot
hence I hope this will save us a lot of computer power and engineering time.
For example I've sent numbers on building a bigger image
(core-image-sato-sdk-ptest)
to Alex and Alex:
out.apk.1: 1:13.35
out.apk.2: 1:13.51
out.apk.3: 1:13.23
out.apk.4: 1:14.07
out.apk.5: 1:13.00
out.deb.1: 3:49.37
out.deb.2: 3:50.77
out.deb.3: 3:51.39
out.deb.4: 3:53.40
out.deb.5: 3:53.99
out.ipk.1: 2:38.99
out.ipk.2: 2:39.07
out.ipk.3: 2:35.34
out.ipk.4: 2:36.15
out.ipk.5: 2:34.55
out.rpm.1: 1:58.61
out.rpm.2: 1:59.42
out.rpm.3: 1:59.70
out.rpm.4: 1:58.96
out.rpm.5: 1:58.11

Also consider that if we've a target without python with limited space, rpm is
out
of the question. So the real comparison would be between ipk and apk. Let's
say we can save 80 seconds in each build. Now multiply that with the number of
builds, and we do a lot (I guess we might approach 100 000 builds/week in the
next year). Then this will save 92.5 days build time each week.

That's why I'm passionated about this.

/Fredrik