Hi,

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 01:52:19PM +0200, Marta Rybczynska wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been working recently on collecting what works and what doesn't
> in YP security processes. The goal is to go forward and define an
> actionable strategy!
>
> Today, I'd like to share with you the summary of what I have heard as
> needs from several people (those in Cc:).
>
> I want the community to comment and tell us what you find important
> and what you'd like to see added or changed from this list.

Since most users take poky reference distro and combine it with a number
of open source and closed source BSP and other meta layers and build
systems to produce SW for products, they also need documentation and tooling
so that they can replicate the Yocto Project security processes and use the
available tools.

In the best case downstream users are on poky master branch or one of the
maintained
LTS branches, but they can also be stuck on a non-LTS branch due to BSP
or other technical, contractual or even purely political reasons. Having a
description of the processes and tools and best practices helps, and if needed
they can for example backport the needed tooling changes to their version to
help or kick off in the maintenance effort, just like how upstream LTS branches
are
managed.

I think most of the documentation around the tools and processes is in place
already.
Having maintained and shipped from a non-maintained poky branch, I can just say
thank you to all who participated in the upstream work to get security
vulnerability
detection and fixing possible!

poky seems well maintained and serves as an example to everyone wether open
source or not.

That being said, extending the CVE scanning and status tracking work to include
more
open source layers would be nice both for the maintainers and for the users of
those
layers. Using some random old branch of meta-foo may not be so safe. Maybe add
this data to layer-index?

Cheers,

-Mikko