On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM Alex Stewart <alex.stew...@ni.com> wrote:

> Thanks for driving this Marta. Internally and externally, it feels like
> we're just on the cusp of everyone *suddenly caring* about our security
> response strategy. So it's good to see that we're making moves in that
> direction.

Thank you Alex!

> More responses inline.
>
> On 9/13/23 07:52, Marta Rybczynska via lists.openembedded.org wrote:
> > * CVEs: Visibility if YP is vulnerable or not
> >
> > People want to be able to check/look up a specific CVE; it might be a
> > CVE unrelated to YP
> > (eg. package not included, Windows issue). The cve-checker result is a
> > part of the solution, but people also want to know which CVEs do not
> > apply.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this usecase. Is there a reason those people
> can't/won't just lookup the CVE on the NIST site?

Mark's answer is clarifying that. I'll add that this is a requirement
I have heard
from multiple sources. People might look up CVE/NIST, but that takes time if
you are required to look up all CVEs. If we have common data, we avoid
duplicate work.

> > * CVEs: synchronization of the work on fixes
> >
> > Currently, there is no synchronization; multiple parties might be
> > working on the same fix while nobody is working on another. There
> > might be duplication of work.
> > Ross has https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/CVE_Status
>
> Has there been any discussion of adopting the OpenVEX document standard
> that the Chainguard guys are putting together? [1] It seems like the VEX
> use-cases align well with our needs around tracking and coordinating CVE
> response between YP member and individual developers.

We might decide to use it. However, openVEX a way to output
the data we have/will have (the conclusion), not a way to sync up the work.

> > * Triaging of security issues
> >
> > Related to CVE fixes and includes issues reported directly to the YP.
> > Some issues are more likely to be serious for embedded products
> > (attack by network), so not all has the same priority.
>
> I'll note here that some of us are sinners and do actually support
> network-attached (and internet-attached) embedded devices. :)
>
> But the greater point of OS vendors being able to triage and assign
> vendor-specific severities to incoming issues is absolutely important to
> my use-cases.

This is an important point. YP is generic and YP assesment of severity might
be different than the one from a vendor. It means that our process should
be flexible enough that a vendor can take the data and assign their own
severity.

> > * Visibility of the security work of the YP
> >
> > There is much work on security in the YP, but it lacks visibility.
>
> Is there a common nexus for this work? eg. do most of the folks who are
> doing security work tend to congregate on the security sublist?

I'd like to know :) This thread is a big cross-post (and sorry for
that, but I need
to reach the whole audience), for further discussions I'd like to invite all
to a dedicate list.

> > * Additional tooling
> >
> > We could add additional tooling: a template on how to add cve-check to
> > the CI (possibly
> > a different one than the autobuilder), analyze the result, and extend
> > our tooling to their layers...
> > It is also related to the "Architecture" topic below.
>
> Can you expand on what you mean here? Is this usecase about extending
> the existing tooling into the generic CI processes that YP members are
> using, or about expanding the tooling in the YP's indigenous CI?

This is a requirement assembling multiple ones. Many people mentioned
that additional
tooling would be needed and/or helpful. A CI template is an example
here. I'm interested
in your list of tooling that would be important or useful to have.
Preferably related to processes
that are currently done in-house and that we can make more generic and
share the work.

> > * Presence on pre-notification lists and receiving information before
> > the vulnerability gets public
> >
> > YP currently depends on public data. Principal distributions receive
> > the information before
> > a vulnerability becomes public. It requires (in short) private
> > reporting, a security team, and a track
> > of excellent security record.
> >
> > * Becoming a CNA (be able to assign CVEs)
> >
> > Needed if we want to assign CVEs to the software of the YP, like
> > autobuilder, Toaster etc.
>
> I'm also interested in this, as the maintainer of our opkg fork. So far,
> I haven't had to respond to a CVE against the project, but that won't
> last forever.

CVEs against a fork, this is an interesting use-case... Noted :)

Cheers,
Marta