On 07/11/2015 10:57 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:

This does touch on something I have wondered about for a while, which is
whether the time has come to move the GPLv2 pieces to their own layer
and possibly their own maintainership. Obviously there are pros and cons
to doing that.

Thoughts?

I'm all for that, which shouldn't be surprising :) The rationale is that we need to keep the scope and breadth of oe-core sane and manageable. The emphasis should be on having lesser amount of high quality, up-to-date recipes than vice versa.

That means a continuous lookout for possible things to remove. Qt4 is one such thing, old GPLv2 software is another.

Alex