On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kana...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 10:57 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
>
>> This does touch on something I have wondered about for a while, which is
>> whether the time has come to move the GPLv2 pieces to their own layer
>> and possibly their own maintainership. Obviously there are pros and cons
>> to doing that.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'm all for that, which shouldn't be surprising :) The rationale is that we
> need to keep the scope and breadth of oe-core sane and manageable. The
> emphasis should be on having lesser amount of high quality, up-to-date
> recipes than vice versa.

To play devil's advocate, a counter argument could be:

The number of high quality recipes which can be maintained in oe-core
depends on the number of developers actively using and contributing to
oe-core. More active developers means more recipes can be maintained
to a high quality.

By restricting the scope of oe-core you reduce the number of
developers who are able to use it directly. If the developers who can
no longer use oe-core directly lose interest in tracking master
between releases or start to go off and maintain their own personal
forks, then you reduce the number of developers actively using and
contributing to oe-core.

Whether oe-core is at a stage in it's life cycle where it would
benefit more from growing it's developer base or from knuckling down
and focusing on a smaller set of core functionality is an interesting
question...