Hi Paul,

Am 21.10.2016 um 01:29 schrieb Paul Eggleton:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 10:05:12 Olaf Mandel wrote:
-Snipp-
>> There are additional recipes that reference the global LICENSE
>> file, but where I am not sure if a less blanket license declaration
>> is appropriate or not. Especially for meta-toolchain and
>> build-appliance-image, the global LICENSE is probably correct.
>> Any comments?
>
> For images and other recipes that don't pull in anything by themselves, there
> shouldn't be a need for LIC_FILES_CHKSUM (or indeed LICENSE) to be set at all
> - in order to understand the license for the result the appropriate place to
> look is the license manifest that represents everything that goes into the
> image. In fact, in master / morty, if SRC_URI is empty then LIC_FILES_CHKSUM
> is no longer verified [1]. Thus, for such recipes we can remove the setting of
> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM (and LICENSE, if possible) altogether.

That seems to apply to eight of the nine remaining recipes still
containing the ${COREBASE}/LICENSE:

meta/recipes-core/meta/buildtools-tarball.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/meta-environment.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/meta-extsdk-toolchain.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/meta-ide-support.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/meta-toolchain.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/signing-keys.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/testexport-tarball.bb
meta/recipes-core/meta/uninative-tarball.bb

Of the already modified recipes, this applies to:
meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd-compat-units.bb

Also, it is not currently possible to remove LICENSE: still causes
build-errors.

I will send a patch that removes LIC_FILES_CHKSUM from a total of 19
files, but please someone review it: it also removes the CHKSUM from
e.g. kernel-devsrc and perf.

This leaves only one instance of ${COREBASE}/LICENSE:
build-appliance-image. Someone please say if the blanket license text
from "LICENSE" applies or if the narrower license terms from
"COPYING.MIT" suffice.

Best regards,
Olaf