On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:27 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard, I agree with all you said.
>
> But I still don't see how replacing meta-oe git repository with 10
> different git repositories helps with anything.
>
> It won't give you more time, it would only cause more work to already
> exhausted and (re)tired meta-oe maintainers.
>
> It won't make the layers independent.
>
> It won't improve existing tooling.
>
> It won't improve automated upgrades or testing.
>
> Yes meta-oe needs to improve and it would be great to have layers as those
> fancy colorful boxes from Yocto documentation, which you can willy-nilly
> add to your BBLAYERS without any dependencies. But that's not how it is now
> and splitting the repository alone won't help with that. If there are
> people willing to make it work better, then they can improve it in existing
> git repository and when it works well and there are really independent
> layers, then we can re-evaluate splitting the independent ones to separate
> repositories for easier consumption.
>
> Regards,

And it won't reduce efforts in sending patches / creating releases
(and this in times where resources are limited).

Reading all this, the only intention I can see is to kick out what
core-boys call bit rotted - regardless if working perfectly fine - and
hoping it will die due to extra efforts. Ah and don't forget to create
a layer oe-core-trashbin.

Andreas