Philippe,

Actually, I am still talking about Wayne's focus on the user.   As a
project manager I spend much of my time in a balancing act by
advocating for someone else's perspective.   When I work with with IT
developers and vendors, the most important missing voice is generally
the perspective of the user.   Workflow diagrams and use case
narratives are excellent tools to bring the user back into the center
of the technology planning process, and they also provide users with
a convenient way to redirect well intentioned but inappropriate
technology proposals.

Until we have compelling informatics solutions that meet actual
clinical user needs, adoption of new IT proposals will be minimal at
best, which describes the current state of EHR deployment in this
country (i.e., minimal).

With best regards,

[wr]

- - - - - - - -

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:43 AM, Philippe AMELINE wrote:

>> Any opinion on YAWL ( http://www.yawl.fit.qut.edu.au/ )?
>>
>> Tim C
>>

> Hi guys,
>
> I very much like the way Wayne Wilson explicated the Big problem :
>
> "The very first thing to do is to build a believable (to doctors and
> patients) scenario for needing to get information from one system
> to the
> next, preferably in real time. IF you don't lead with that from a
> demonstrably practical point of view and just assume a generic need
> justifies all (interchange is good and will save the world, etc.),
> then
> I suggest that this interoperability demo is no different than a
> vendor
> plug fest designed to show managers why they should keep buying the
> same
> stuff they have already bought."
>
> And how funny it was to see that 6 posts after, all this vanished
> into a
> workflow engines comparison (very interesting, by the way).
>
>  From my point of view, Wayne is very right to ask for a scenario "for
> needing to get information from one system to the next". And I think
> that such a scenario will be pretty much artificial if these
> systems are
> HIS since the genuine main reason to communicate is continuity of
> care,
> and that it is the very issue that hospitals don't address at all -
> and
> even rarely understand.
>
> This "generic need" that would justify a "need for communication"
> between HIS is a myth that became a religion when a sufficient
> number of
> people started to make a living by building standards for it. This is
> not an issue for the citizen.
>
> My 2 € ;-)
>
> Philippe
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links