I find Dr. Grove's approach interesting.  He focuses on the "keep is
simple" (KISS) principle and is rightly worried about huge spending on
unproven information systems.  He also proposes the widespread
deployment of simple "walk-in" clinics to lower the cost and improve
access to medical care.
These ideas have a lot to recommend them.
Large software projects almost always fail in one way or another...
often spectacular failure.  There is a limit to how much you can
change in any system and these large projects change everything.  Add
to that the fact that they are often poorly designed and administered
and they are destined to fail. On information systems... Adopting
complex proprietary systems is also a recipe for failure.  My brother
in law is working for a group of hospitals on their IT conversion.  He
recently related that a project where three proprietary vendors were
supposed to work together had failed to achieve any of its goals and
they were in an advanced state of finger-pointing.  They were supposed
to set up proprietary communication among the three proprietary
systems (each of them complex applications) and it wasn't working.  No
surprise here.  If they had started with simpler open systems and open
standard communication protocols, this would have given the project a
chance of success and they could have called in new vendors when the
original contractors failed to deliver.  As it is now, they are stuck
throwing good money after bad or just abandoning the project.

Simple open systems and open communications standards have the best
chance of success.
You also want a distributed system which can grow with small successes
and not be hindered by the failure of central choke points to perform.
This is much like the Internet itself where you have simple open
communication protocols and distributed development.  If ATT had been
given a lot of money to develop the Internet, they would have designed
a project like that in the UK (centralized control and proprietary
standards) and it would have failed.  The Internet has been
spectacularly successful because it was designed with simple open
communication protocols and it could be implemented in a distributed
manner.  People who could get it together to follow the simple
protocols were successfully connected and they weren't impeded by
those who couldn't follow simple directions.

/Mark