Thomas Beale wrote:

> Having the shared EHR literally at the GP clinic is unlikely to be a
> good approach for technical reasons, even though the GP will in many
> cases be the best gatekeeper. A better solution is on secure servers at
> about the level of the primary care trust (UK)

** Stability **

We just lost 400 of those!

I trained in a general practice which was then in its third century of
continuous provision of medical care in its district.  It had not been
computerised so long, but since then it has changed systems, perforce,
once already.  (It also had a different building, different partners,
and different patients, although significantly it had some of the same
families on the list, I do not doubt.)

General practices endure.  Hospitals likewise.

Health service administrative organisations are changed a  little slower
than underwear, but are far from constant.  And the persistence of
information between two avatars of essentially the same admin-org is
similar to that on underwear.

And that is the way the admindroids taking control of each new spasm
like it - each wheel is reinvented, every 3 to 5 years.

I agree about the technical reasons, but continuity is a huge merit.