Having the shared EHR literally at the GP clinic is unlikely to be a
good approach for technical reasons, even though the GP will in many
cases be the best gatekeeper. A better solution is on secure servers at
about the level of the primary care trust (UK) - in principle it needs
to be at a level not much higher than where most patient information
movements are likely to occur, while being at a level where economies of
scale can be applied to the technical infrastructure. GP clinics and
other providers are all likely to retain their own private EMRs of
course, but this is not same as the patient-centric EHR.

- thomas