Here's my acid test, put a square grid of circles in a scroll pane.  Scale
up until pain is felt.

        GridPane gp = new GridPane();

//        int size = 3;
        int size = 10;
//        int size = 32;
//      int size = 100;
//        int size = 317;
        for (int x = 0; x < size; x++) {
            for (int y = 0; y < size; y++) {
//                Pane p = new Pane();
//                p.setStyle("-fx-background-fill: blue;");
//                p.setMinSize(20, 20);
                //Text p = new Text(x + "x" + y);
                Circle p = new Circle(50, Color.rgb((x&0xf)*16, (y&0xf)*16,
128));
                GridPane.setColumnIndex(p, x);
                GridPane.setRowIndex(p, y);
                GridPane.setMargin(p, new Insets(5,5,5,5));
                gp.getChildren().add(p);
            }
        }
        gp.setCacheHint(CacheHint.SPEED);

        ScrollPane scrollPane = new ScrollPane(gp);
        scrollPane.setMinHeight(400);
        scrollPane.setPannable(true);

My actual use case is a bit more involved (and it includes expensive
non-graphical calculations that make an intel core duo cry) and I've found
the windows box can handle two to three more orders of magnitude before lag
moves from unpleasant to unusable.

p.s. I really dig the scroll pane on skin on the touch screens.  Complete
with over-drag and  hidden unless dragging scroll bars.  Well done.