RoboVM doesn't do release builds yet (virtually none of LLVM's
optimizations are enabled) and virtual and interface method dispatch is
horribly slow (linear search on every call!!!). So there are A LOT of
opportunities for improvements. The focus so far has been to get something
up and running which can actually be used to make apps. I hope I will get
the time to optimize things later this year.

Is this demo open source? It would be interesting to test it on iOS.