From: openjfx-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net
[mailto:openjfx-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net] On Behalf Of Felipe Heidrich
Sent: Wednesday, 28 August 2013 01:30
To: openjfx-dev@openjdk.java.net List
Subject: Re: Poor quality font rendering

Hi John,

> 1. Sub-pixel positioning (
> https://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-14187 )

Yes, if all goes well RT-14187 will get fixed for FX8.

Notes:
-On Mac we already have sub-pixel positioned glyphs.
-LCD text we also have sub-pixel positioned glyphs.
-The main one that I feel we are missing is grayscale text for Windows.
-It is very unlikely we will have time to do anything for Linux this time
around.

2. Kerning ( https://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-7472 )

Not target for 8.

3. Is it just my imagination.

Webview node and text node both use the very same drawing code in Prism.
I would not expect to see any difference...

I hope this helps,
Felipe

On Aug 27, 2013, at 3:42 AM, John C. Turnbull wrote:

> I am still hoping someone can answer my questions on this topic
> (included here for convenience):
>
>> 1. When will both (1) and (2) make it into a JDK8 development build?
>> 2. Are there any other plans/techniques to improve font rendering on
>> the
> horizon for JFX8 or later?
>
> But I noticed something further which I think is a little curious...
>
> It may just be an optical illusion but it definitely appears to me
> that font rendering within WebView is of a considerably better quality
> than that in other controls (such as Label, Text) in the sense that it
> appears crisper and much closer to the native font rendering of the
Windows OS.